Steak and potato foil packs make a perfect summer meal. Tender steak and savory potatoes melt in your mouth. No need to heat up your oven on a hot day. Throw these foil packs on your grill, and in about thirty minutes you will have a delicious supper.
Foil packs are often used while camping, which is a great idea. You can easily cook them on your grill too. This simple, flavorful dinner adds variety to your cookouts. You don’t need to marinade the steak. Just toss everything together and cook. The most time consuming part is the prep, but so worth it.
If you’ve never made foil packs I hope you give these a try. They are yummy!
For our God is a consuming fire. Hebrews 12:29
Steak and Potato Foil Packs
Yield: 4 servings
1 1/2 to 2 lbs top sirloin steak cut into thin 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 lbs baby potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
juice of one lime
4 cloves crushed garlic
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flake (optional)
fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
4 tablespoons butter (1 T. each) for the top of meat/potatoes before sealing the foil
heavy duty aluminum foil cut into 4 large squares approximately 12 x 12 inch
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, worcestershire sauce, lime juice, garlic, thyme, parsley, oregano, onion powder, salt, pepper, and optional red pepper flake.
- Add steak, potatoes, and onion. Mix really well to coat everything.
- Drizzle about a 1 tablespoon of olive oil on each foil square. Evenly divide the steak and potato mixture between the four pieces of foil.
- Salt and pepper each pile, and add 1 tablespoon of butter to the top.
- Fold the foil in half like an envelope. Tightly seal the sides and top with a double fold.
- Grill the foil packs over medium high heat for 15 minutes per side, for a total of 30 minutes.
- Let the foil packs sit for 5 minutes before opening. They will be very hot. Carefully cut a small “x” shape at the center and peel back the foil. Garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
- The steaks will be well done using this method. If you prefer your steak with some pink at the center you will need to cut the steak into 2 inch pieces and cook for 10 minutes each side, or until desired doneness. The potatoes will need to be boiled for 5 minutes before adding to the seasoning mixture and before grilling, if you want medium steaks.
- While grilling the packs, rotate them a few times per each 15 minutes so they don’t burn.
- Use the heat of the grill, and try and avoid the flame. If you want to place the foil packs over direct flame you will need to double the foil to prevent burning.
- Only turn the foil packs over once on the grill.
- If a foil pack tears just add another piece of foil over the tear and continue grilling.
Photo credit: Meghan E. White