My heart sank as I watched the tarmac filled with Afghan people wanting to leave. Some were desperate enough to cling to the massive C-17 in hopes of rescue. Like many of you, I wanted to do something but felt so helpless being so far away. One of the best things we can do is pray.
According to Open Doors, Afghanistan is the second most persecuted country for Christians. Open Doors is a non-denominational Christian ministry that supports the persecuted church around the world. They keep vital statistics on persecution.
“Open Doors USA is dedicated to the radical idea that every Christian belongs to one Church and one Family“
Another incredible ministry to the persecuted church is The Voice of the Martyrs. I love both of these amazing ministries because they are passionate about prayer, and helping the suffering church all over the world.
Every province in Afghanistan has Christians, according to The Voice of the Martyrs. These are our brothers and sisters in Christ. How can we help? We can pray.
The Voice of the Martyrs has put together a list of ways we can pray.
How to Pray for Afghanistan Today
- PRAY FOR GOD’S PROTECTION. The situation on the ground is fluid right now. Pray for God’s protection over His people.
- PRAY FOR WISDOM. Ask God to bless our brothers and sisters with discernment as they decide whether to stay or go and even with whom they should talk.
- PRAY FOR FELLOWSHIP. Believers in Afghanistan often must keep their faith a secret — even from family members. Pray that God will help each Afghan believer to connect and fellowship with at least one other believer in person, by phone or through some other technology. Pray that God will remind them that they are not alone, but are part of the global body of Christ.
- PRAY FOR SAFE PASSAGE. Pray that God will provide safe passage to those who feel led by God to leave Afghanistan and provide for their immediate needs in their new location.
- PRAY THAT MUSLIMS WILL MEET CHRIST. The Taliban claim to be “true Muslims,” strictly adhering to Sharia (Islamic law). As Muslims in Afghanistan see this cruel face of Islam, pray that they will be drawn to Jesus Christ, the shepherd Savior who doesn’t oppress but instead chose to lay down His life for His sheep.
- PRAY FOR CHRISTIANS TRYING TO HELP. For decades, VOM has provided help and encouragement to Christians in Afghanistan. Pray for the wisdom of front-line workers, and pray that God will open new pathways for them to continue their work under Taliban control.
THANK YOU for standing with our Afghan brothers and sisters during this volatile time.
Love you all,
Click on the above link to access The Voice of the Martyrs.