I love soup. It’s hearty, and can be loaded with all sorts of goodness. This one has shredded chicken, black beans, corn, cilantro, and a few other ingredients that make a filling meal. Some soups can be bland and mushy. Chicken tortilla soup is flavorful and scrumptious. No soggy soup here.
This lovely soup comes together pretty quick. You can easily make this on a busy weeknight. As long as your chicken is already cooked, you’re good to go. If you’ve got some leftover chicken on hand that would work too.
One pot meals are some of my favorites. No cooking multiple things all at once. Juggling the oven, and the stove top can be a challenge. I cook like that quite often, and I don’t mind it. But, using the same pot for the entire meal is such a nice break from the norm.
This particular version of chicken tortilla soup calls for hominy, which is dried corn kernels that are soaked in an alkaline solution. Basically, hominy is big puffy corn. I do not use hominy for this soup since it’s not at my local Aldi. Instead, I use white beans as a replacement. If you like hominy, or you’re just curious, give it a try.
Something that I add to make this recipe even more delicious, is homemade tortilla strips. It’s worth the extra time to fry up your own tortillas. The flavor and richness that the fresh tortilla’s add is mouthwatering. If you are not up for that, just add store bought tortilla chips to the soup. Still very good and easy.
Enjoy this fantastic soup.
Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 diced onion
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 (28oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 (32 oz.) container chicken broth
1 cup water
3 to 4 boneless, skinless, cooked chicken breast (shredded)
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
1 cup whole kernel corn
1 cup hominy or 1 (15 oz.) can white beans
1 (4 oz.) can green chiles
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
homemade tortilla strips
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion. Cook until soft.
- Add oregano, chili powder, tomatoes, chicken broth, and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, black beans, corn, hominy or white beans, and cilantro to the pot. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking make your tortilla strips.
- Serve up the soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips, sliced avocado, Jack cheese, and cilantro.
- Always taste while you are cooking. Check if salt is needed, especially if low-sodium broth is used.
- Add onions, black olives, or sour cream for toppings.
Homemade Tortilla Strips
4 to 6 6-inch corn tortillas
¼ cup (approximately) vegetable oil
- Slice tortillas into ½ inch strips.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil. When the oil has a shimmer and coats the bottom of the pan it’s ready.
- Cook tortilla strips in small batches for a couple of minutes per side. Turn them once they stiffen up and are golden brown.
- The tortilla strips cook quickly.
- Place cooked strips on a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt.
Check out my monthly column at Mustard Seed Sentinel.