This delicious appetizer is super easy to make. All you’re doing is assembling a few simple ingredients. No cooking, no heating up the oven. You can make these ahead of time and add the balsamic vinegar right before serving.
If you like Caprese salad which uses sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil then you will love Caprese skewers. It’s the same thing just bite-sized. These little skewers make a great snack, appetizer, or side dish.
I keep mine very simple and only sprinkle salt and fresh ground black pepper. You can easily add dried herbs if that’s what you like. Make them as small or large as you want. I have made them with regular sized toothpicks or larger like the ones pictured.
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 8oz. container mini mozzarella balls
large sprig of fresh basil (cut basil leaves in half)
fresh ground black pepper
toothpicks or bamboo skewers
- Slide a tomato, then half of a basil leaf, then fresh mozzarella on a skewer. Repeat until there are two of each item on your skewer. If you are using toothpicks just add one of each item.
- Lay the skewers on a platter. Drizzle balsamic vinegar over everything. Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Enjoy!
- Cut bamboo skewers in half to make larger appetizers.
- The basil wilts once it’s in the refrigerator but it still tastes good.
- If you can’t find mini mozzarella balls just cut up small pieces of fresh mozzarella.